Roof script of the Baltic Station
The Baltic Railway Station got its current appearance in 1960s. A smaller passenger lounge was constructed according to the project drafted by the architects from Leningrad (1962), while the main building was reconstructed by 1970 around the massive historicist limestone station building completed in 1870. The walls of the latter can now be seen inside the current building. Otherwise, the interior of the station has been completely changed, and now it is housing mainly the supermarket Selver.
Upon completion of the station, neon script TALLINN was installed on the roof edge of the laconic modernistic main building. The letters filled the entire length of the facade and a slim sans serif font was used, with wide spaces in between. Before Tallinn sailing regatta of the Olympic Games in Moscow in 1980, the letters were replaced, with the font Clarendon. This font created in 19th century, with rich imagery, was a favourite of 1970s. Now the illuminated script has been shifted towards the platforms, because Shnelli Hotel completed in 2000 partially shades the view to the end wall of the station.